Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Things I realized this holiday season

1. I am a control freak in my kitchen. After a big family dinner, one of our friends started clearing and washing dishes. After several failed attempts at getting him to leave it, I let him go at it trying not to look or say anything as he used my special SIGG bottle brush to scrub a pot and as he crammed the dishwasher full of plates, pots, and glasses. I really tried to see the good and let him help. I thanked him for his hard work and really did appreciate all the effort, but after he left I had to rearrange the dishes and rewash the pots. I never really thought that I would care so much, but I guess that has become my territory and I don’t like people taking over.
2. It doesn’t take much to keep in touch. Every year we send boxes of Vern’s Toffee to some of our East Coast friends. At first we used to send cheese baskets when Bingham Hill was still in business. We totally loved the idea of sending something locally made in Fort Collins and beer is just too heavy. After Bingham Hill closed, we switched to boxes of toffee. This year I thought about not doing it. I mean who needs the extra calories and it probably gets boring year after year, but Vern’s make it so easy for you. They keep your list from the last year and all you need to do is add, subtract, and pay. But I must say, it always ends up being worthwhile. It always results in a few phone calls, people who you haven’t spoken to in a while and it is great to catch up.
3. Kids like to be in the mix. My kids are getting older, the girl is 10 and the boy is 5. This year they sat at the table with all of the adults and actually participated in the conversation. One of my husband’s friends actually made a big effort to talk to my girl and I eavesdropped in on an actual conversation about what books they were reading. I loved it! It is wonderful seeing your kids grow up and become real people.
4. My needs are always the first to go. In all the rush of cooking, cleaning, and shopping the things that are the first to get cut are on my personal to do list. This year, my blog writing time was cut. As I submit this one day late I realize that in the future I need to reprioritize. This should have been put above cleaning the bathroom or making sure that the gifts have pretty bows. Next year, I will make sure to place myself higher up on my list of things to do.

Happy New Year!

No comments: